Sunday, March 29, 2015

choices made

I feel a zeal to begin blogging again but we'll see how we go lol.

Firstly congratulations to Winston Peters and NZF for the Northland win over the forces of the National Party. This really gives fantastic momentum to NZF and bodes well for them for future parliaments. I didn't like the labour campaign from day one - the slight of hand and whispering didn't really do it for me - but it did do it for labour supporters who moved their vote to Winston instead of the Labour candidate. Is this strategic voting? I'd say yes but for NZF not Labour and not the left. I remain unconvinced that Winston Peters and NZF will advance the left, especially the far left where I sit, and if any further convincing of that is needed the rumour mills are touting Shane Jones as a possible successor to Winston. Oh deary me - that would be diabolical if that happened although the 'middle' would probably love it - I'd rather have Ron Mark but time will tell.

The reason I think Labour will come to regret the decisions they made around this by-election are because as NZF ascends, I think Labour will descend. NZF are not going to get Green Party votes. They may get National Party votes but those votes are 'centre' votes - they wobble, they move. NZF are going to muscle into the 'middle' and they will take votes from both Labour and National but more from Labour I think, notwithstanding the relatively good start by Andrew Little - Labour's leader. The problem for him is that perception is reality. No more moral high ground over deals - even though this wasn't a deal, National have successfully spun it as one, the media have agreed. Another reason that Labour will descend is that it still is hanging on to so much deadwood that unless those people leave the Party is tainted - not just by Rogernomics but also the Clark years - those 9 years seem a long time ago now.

Anyway that is what I think about all that.

I've also taken a 2 week break from The Standard as a silent protest against Stephanie's ban on Murray. I like Murray and I like Stephanie's posts and I just feel that the ban was unnecessary. I do not feel it was a gender issue - it was just a bad call - although I can understand why Stephanie thinks it was. I respect The Standard authors and I didn't want to protest to them - that is inappropriate - but I did want to make a point and I did want to choose. In the past I have defended Stephanie because I have felt that she has received gender bias comments. I just don't think this was the situation in this case although I have to say some subsequent comments there have been offensive to me and sexist. So kia kaha Stephanie and see you in 2 weeks The Standard.


2 comments:

MikeM said...

Hi Marty.

"Is this strategic voting? I'd say yes but for NZF not Labour and not the left."

I don't know if it counts as very strategic by itself, and I'm reluctant to try and make assumptions about why individuals vote the way they do, but surely there must be an element of voting against the government and its policies if not voting for either NZF or Labour.

If a preferential system were used for electorates, instead of FPP (which fosters vote splits of any majority who might prefer anyone except a particular candidate), it'd be possible for all those Labour supporters to indicate their real preference without risking their vote going to waste. I guess it's a trade-off to avoid making the voting system too complex, though.

Marty Mars said...

Kia ora Mike

Nice to chat again mate.

I agree and I think a non FPP system for by-elections would be great. The feeling I had was that many were voting against National and there were many reasons for their dissatisfaction.

I've always thought that everyone should just vote for who and what they believe in - but I realise that may be quite naive.